Skip to content

Posts tagged ‘Shadow Star’

Completed! At last!

Here it is all completed. Actually I still have to put the binding on but you can see it. I don’t have a good place to hang such a huge piece for a formal photo but as it’s not going to go anywhere but my bed this will be okay.

Are there more partially finished projects of Mom’s?

Yes, of course–and they are all jumping up and down saying ‘pick me next!’

And here is the gallery link for the entire quilt project–along with my other blog photos for the year so far. You’ll have to scroll down to the bottom of the second page to see everything in sequence. http://sylviaweirphotos.smugmug.com/Blog/Blog-Photos-2012/22107692_XPKWbB#!i=1764561145&k=wkd8qjG

Assembling

With the blocks all completed–I did the triangles one month and the corners another month; it was a relatively easy project to sew them all together. Because seams that end on the edges are difficult to manage, I put on a narrow border of green–again I had to dig through Mom’s fabrics to find something that would ‘go’ with it. The resulting quilt was huge. Each block was fifteen inches square and she had made a lot of them. I don’t know what her intentions were for that quilt or why she abandoned it. It was hard for me to work on as those are just not my colors.

I decided I would order some wide backing–and found some orangeish mottled fabric on sale at Hancocks’s of Paducah. And I had a batt from Mom’s supplies, and a new cone of beige machine quilting thread. I loaded that quilt up on my frame. It took up the entire width of the frame; normally I float the top and don’t roll it up on the rail but this time I had to roll it–it was so huge.

I’m not a fancy frame quilter, it is hard for me to think linearly and so I just do loopy-dos. It took me most of a month to quilt this monster.

Why seams?

It took me two months to sew together all those set in triangles and squares. I suppose I could have gotten the entire thing together if I had just concentrated on it; but I was still recovering from my illness and I could not sit at the machine for that long. So one month for all the triangles and one month for all the squares.

Now I had all the pieces sewn. Now I had to do the hard part–and that was sewing in all those set-ins. That meant the dreaded Y seam.

Well practice makes perfect and I got a lot of practice in.

I tried to make a small movie clip which was an interesting project. I don’t think the film companies will be at my door demanding my services but it was rather fun and I might try it again sometime when I have something interesting to show. I set up my Canon on a tripod and just starting sewing and doing a bit of talking. It is in real time–I do not have film editing skills at this time. I also did still photos so you can take a look at either one.

If you’d rather watch the video, here it is:

Here is the gallery notation but you’ll have to scroll to the bottom of page two to see the entire sequence. But if you want to wait for the grand reveal, you might want to put it off for a few days

Inset triangles and corner squares

After I sorted out everything I began to sew things together. I would have cut strips and sewn them together and then cut them apart and re-seamed them to make all these parts, but Mom had cut all of these squares and triangles out with a scissors and a template. Plus some of the squares and triangles were partially sewn but not completed. There were a few completed so I could tell what she had in mind.

Mom always sat and cut out pieces without really counting them; I found left-over diamonds and triangles from other projects. At least all of this was in the same box.

Unfortunatly as I began working I discovered that she had not cut enough green or rust and I could not find any more of those fabrics in her stash. Fortunately she did have other fabrics similar in shade and so I cut those up for use.

Completion

Finishing up things always feels good–even better than putting a checkmark on the to-do list of daily obligations

My mother was a quilter and when she died I inherited all her fabric–very few blues and a lot of rust and turquoise, quilt tops for each of the grandchildren for me to quilt, and a few unfinished projects. This particular project was a Shadow Star, a fairly complex pattern from an old Aunt Martha’s quilt pattern booklet. She had stored it neatly in an old envelope box and that box glared at me on a weekly basis when I moved it from place to place–trying hard to ignore it.

Then the Happy Scrappers bee (scrapping both verbally and in fabric at times) had a project in which we were each to select a UFO and set goals on completing it with a checkup each month. That envelope box screamed “pick me!” And so I began.

I’ll post the different steps over the next few days.

Do not be impressed; this project took me most of a year to complete but it is now on my bed.

Step One: Sort out what you have in like piles. As you can see, the quilt is in various stages; I counted the stars but it was depressing to think of how many there were–it was a lot of them. Some of the set in squares and triangles were sewn, some were partially sewn, some by hand and some by machine. Sorting occupied the best part of one afternoon.