Claiming ownership of one’s work–signing a letter, a painting by more than just a style..is it important?
In the past I had settled for a plain jane type label,..a bit of muslin ironed to freezer paper, words traced from a print-out using a nice font, edges turned under and then the label sewn to the back in the lower right corner.
Sometimes I pieced the label into the back–when people were announcing a lot of quilt thievery. After surveying my rising stack of completed pieces, and thinking through what I really enjoy –I like the making–not the having–I began making fancier labels.
Although this label is for a quilt I did not make–I did contribute to its making–I used part of the fabrics in the front design, printed the words out using a hand-writing font–my hand-writing is not so neat–traced the words onto the muslin and then finished all the edges.
This quilt is a donation quilt for our local guild–and will be on display at our local quilt show in April.
And I keep all those print-outs in a special binder–if only I added sizes to the print-out I would have a ready reference to each year’s endeavors.
Last year the local quilt guild issued a challenge for their biannual show.
Put your hand in a paper bag filled with crayons, select a crayon–no peeking–and construct a quilt with that color or shades thereof with a modern look.
I drew yellow-green.
The gray and black plaid was my mother’s–I think she planned a dress from it.
The yellowgreen and the black swirly and the white were from my stash–which is not shrinking despite my best efforts.
As you can see this quilt is very long and too long for me to get it all in one frame. I am limited by the ceiling height AND the length the frames will extend. My photography setup includes one set of frames with a black drape and a second frame to hang the quilts on. I haven’t figured out how to do framed work yet–usually I photo it before it gets put on a frame.
I also have tried editing with photoshop–after a great course with the Pixeladies from California–an on-line class with great homework assignments. Wish I had a steadier hand to do the edits but if I keep practicing with things I don’t plan to enter into shows I’m sure my skills will increase.
Several years ago the technique of StackNWhack was popular—I had a length of fabric bought at Hancock’s closing sale featuring Elvis in front of prison bars. There were some other fabrics–a wild Hawaiian floral print, and a light blue with Elvis written on it. My friend helped me line up the panels, I cut, and sewing, and combined it with a bright yellow. The resulting quilt was quite colorful and somewhere I have a photo of it. It was used as the grand prize at a Al-Anon convention–and won by the sister-in-law of the friend who was the convention chairman. That sister is somewhat impaired mentally but she was totally thrilled–so much so that I gave her my Elvis T-shirt I bought at Loretta Lynn’s kitchen in Tennessee.
So back to the quilt of the day. There were quite a few pieces left over plus some panels. The original had all of Elvis shaking an rolling in a sort of kaleidoscope fashion. The remaining pieces had just a leg or a foot or sometimes just the bars. I put them all together, used the remaining panels for the back–and here it is– And ready for the Golden Triangle Quilt Auction–the first time I have donated a quilt of cuddle size.
here it is in process on my design board.
Here is the front quilted, the fingers on the top are my husband’s who was offered the choice of taking the photo or holding it.
And here is the back with some of that really bright yellow I used on the first quilt.
Now I have none of that fabric left, I don’t have the partially sewn blocks looking at me accusingly from the shelf and hopefully there is another Elvis lover who will fall in love with it. So now I must fish and fumble through the shelves for another partially completed project. I’d like to have those shelves and boxes empty but there is a huge stack waiting to be quilted and my midarm machine is not happy.