The first two days I spent a lot of time looking through an array of paper bags filled with nails or screws scattered around the house.
While Glen made a run to the local auto parts store to see if he could repair my rear view mirror that had fallen off while on my trip north, I gathered all of those fastening devices, placed them in left-over clear plastic boxes previously holding mixed nuts and organized them.
Now all the nails are on one side; the screws on the other and a bunch of things that seemed to be oddball things were in a box on the floor.
Now all we had to search for were the pencils, Sharpies, measuring tapes, hammers, screwdrivers and tin snips.
My other project was to vacuum the windows and doors of flies—dozens of them, hundreds, hordes—soon to come–the Asian ladybug look-a likes appearing with the harvesting of the soybeans.
And I know everyone wanted to see yet another photo of the library from the stairs.
Since you have been reading about my carpentering/renovation skills you won’t be surprised to learn we hung even more drywall.
This room was my bedroom. It was the smallest of the three upstairs and I remember sleeping there once with my grandparents–each in a separate bedroom—I remember thinking it odd they slept in separate rooms but then I also recall Grand-dad had a formidable snore–something that didn’t really bother someone who was just 5 and slept soundly after a day outside playing.
I don’t remember why I was staying there–it may have been while Dad was taking Mom to the hospital for the birth of one of my brothers.
So this little room will become our library. It will have a window seat and both long walls will be covered with shelves loaded with books. A nice large fluorescent–or LED light will be over that window seat–it faces north–so not a lot of light in the winter.
This is four sheets of drywall—and it will need at least four more—but it is a good start. All those wall plugs and wall switches require repeated measurements. The ceiling pieces were hung with a 2X4 nailed up just below the joists—I held up the panel until enough screws were put in to hold it—-it wasn’t that hard—I braced my arm over my head—the ceiling isn’t all that high—-Glen stood on a ‘nuc’—a five frame bee hive and I stood on an invention of my brother’s—a rectangular box with drill holes to rotate the box to different levels—easier and more secure than a step ladder.
You might think we were happy with our work in the master bedroom and we were. But we had another room that was only partially finished—the living room.
This room has knotty pine on all the walls except one corner. This is where a small wood-burning stove will live. We are not planning on being year round residents and so just a little something to take the edge off the cool spring/fall mornings and evenings will be enough—I hope.
Fire retardant materials need to be installed behind and below and above such a thing. I thought corrugated siding would fit with the simple decor of the house. The ceiling of the living room and the kitchen were completed last summer but the stove area remained.
We measured and cut….actually we both measured and I held and Glen cut; then I held up the panel and he used an electric screwdriver to fasten in the pieces. Again we had to allow for wall plugs. I left with only two panels hung but the next two have gone up and we will be on our way to having another room completed with the exception of the crown molding…..the floor is the original flooring my father remembers his father and brothers carefully placing.