Skip to content

Hurricane Ike one week later

Yesterday was hectic. I worked in Bellville but my relief did not arrive until almost noon. I felt panicky as I had to find a post office and I hoped they were not closing at noon. Then I had to drive to Houston, pick up a motorcycle at my son’s house, and get back to Beaumont in time to be trained in the computer system and work a twelve hour shift. I had hoped for a nap but the hospital was full and I had to vacate my room for the surgery patient and wait for my relief. Some people might be able to sleep at will but I am not one of them and definitely not during daylight hours. The rest of the world seems oblivious to the facts that we have no mail and no post office and no bank and that major traffic intersections—not just one but many are now four way stops and time must be allowed to wait in line for groceries or gas—if there is any—and that curfew is strictly enforced.


Although I didn’t make the computer training session, I was on time for work. Fortunately, the curfew was still in effect and the number of patients was not what they expected for a Friday night. I stayed until about ten with only one patient waiting to be seen and two physicians and one nurse practitioner. Tomorrow I am in Rusk covering for a physician who is in the hospital himself.


So today was a lazy day. We were fortunate to get power back yesterday although most of our neighborhood is still dark. I walked around and found crews everywhere with their trucks. This group is from Reed City Michigan. They well remember the repairs from Rita and are grateful for the twenty degree cooler weather and the relative paucity of mosquitoes.


Close to our house is the McFadden-Ward Museum. This was the home of the McFaddens who made their money in oil and cattle. There are two lovely huge oak trees which were supposedly brought back from Goliad by the original Mr. McFadden. Sadly one of them was topped over by the wind and crews were working to put dirt under the root ball, stabilize it and I’m assuming they will put it upright. The leaves seemed to be wilting so I am afraid their efforts will not be successful.


Interestingly enough, one of the workers remembered me from the past when I used to walk the dogs around the neighborhood. He lived in one of the apartments and was evicted after Rita so the owner could collect money from Housing Project-FEMA people—at a much higher rate. He now has his own place in Vidor and really enjoys it as it is much quieter than the apartment complex.


After a quick lunch we headed out to the shop. We wanted to return the generator to the container where it is not as likely to be stolen and do a bit more cleanup. One of the trees had some limbs that needed cutting and there was still more cleanup in the shed. I managed to put my grandmother’s treadle sewing machine upright—the shelves were knocked off; and remove the glass and paint that had broken and spilled over my lawn tractor. We also put the side of the shed back in place—we need to get another stud and replace the broken one and deal with the roof on the main house.


We stopped at Krogers and found lots of food; bananas, apples, pears, grapes, milk, and orange juice, some fresh tomatoes and a head of lettuce and the usual dried/canned goods.  We got the fixings for a nice salad to accompany steak. It was a nice meal—and now I’m getting ready for work tomorrow.


And today we got mail.

One Comment Post a comment
  1. uzzi #

    More Information About It HERE:

    September 21, 2008

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: