Hurricane Ike & mulching
Once again I am faced with a mandatory evacuation order. This time the decision is not so easy. I am not scheduled to work anywhere until Monday. The house is old but very solid. I’ve prepared with water, full gas cans for the generator, and today I’ll top off my truck’s fuel tank. The forecasters are saying we’ll get a lot of wind and a lot of storm surge. This house has never flooded even when the ground is saturated. Even so, it is a hard decision to make. The worst thing is getting back in to assess damages. After Rita, it was clear that the first folks applying for their house to be repaired got the best and most money. I don’t want it to be about money but the house represents a huge investment and somehow it feels as if I stay, I can prevent the damage from occurring. That’s silly of course. I do have a place to go in north Texas; I just don’t look forward to the effort needed to get there or return.
In other news, I’ve been putting out mulch at the shop. I’m trying to control weeds and reduce the amount of foliage around the shop proper. I’m told this will reduce the attractiveness for snakes. There are a few things I wish God had done differently; snakes and cockroaches. I probably wouldn’t mind them so much if they stayed strictly away from me and I could think of them as a concept.
The photo was taken at Pasadena Skid & Pallett where my son patiently loaded two huge end-loader buckets of mulch into the bed of my truck and tied it down. It took me about two hours to shovel it off into place. Yesterday I got another load hoping to get it into place before the deluge of rain this weekend. Unfortunately, I got my truck stuck and required the assistance of my neighbor to pull me out. Take a look at the hole I dug myself into.